Safety Tips for Bikers Riding Through Atlanta
The reality is that, no matter how safe you are, accidents sometimes still happen.
However, learning about safety and motorcycle accident prevention in Atlanta can drastically limit the chance of your having an accident.
Proper Motorcycle Gear for Safety
It is important to ensure that you are wearing the proper gear for optimal safety when operating a motorcycle.
A helmet and eye protection are both essential.
Long pants and jackets made of thick material are recommended, and gloves can be used to prevent possible hand injuries.
Before Your Ride
Before you set out on your ride, consider some of the following precautions:
- Check controls, lights, signals, tires, and fuel levels.
- Read your owner’s manual for helpful information on maintaining and understanding your motorcycle.
- Ensure that, if you have a chain-drive on the rear wheel, it is in good shape and properly tensioned.
- As you roll off, check your brakes to ensure that they work.
In order to stay safe during your ride, take the following steps:
- If you’re driving at 40 mph or under, leave a two-second space between yourself and the car you are following.
- Leave a four-second space when traveling at higher rates of speed.
- Ensure that other drivers see you by using your headlights and horn if necessary.
- Do not position yourself in another vehicle’s blind spot.
When Riding with Passengers
When taking on the added responsibility of a passenger, safety is even more important. To stay safe, use the following guidelines:
- Start the motorcycle before your passenger gets on it.
- Ensure that any children meet minimum age requirements for passengers.
- Teach your passenger how to avoid the muffler to prevent burns.
- Be careful when making quick stops.
- Limit your passenger’s talking and movement.
- Remember that it will take more space and time to pass with the extra weight.