All people, regardless of age or demographics, are vulnerable to neck pain. Neck pain can be caused by stress that gradually develops over time or from a sudden accident injury. Neck pain typically goes away within a few days or weeks, however, if the pain continues, it could be a sign of a greater issue. To find the underlying cause and prescribe the appropriate treatment of your neck pain, you should consult with one of our Atlanta chiropractors for help and support.
If neck pain persists for more than three months, it is considered chronic. Typically, the conditions below are due to problems in the cervical spine with either a facet joint or disc.
Causes of Chronic Neck Pain
Common causes of chronic neck pain include:
- Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease: This occurs when discs in cervical spine lose hydration cushioning over time due to general wear and tear.
- Cervical Herniated Disc: A cervical disc’s inner core (the nucleus pulposus) can leak out of the protective outer layer of the disc resulting in neck and radiating arm pain.
- Cervical Osteoarthritis: With age, the cartilage in a cervical facet joint can wear down enough to lead to cervical osteoarthritis or cervical spondylosis. Facet joints should move smoothly, however with cervical osteoarthritis, they might grind and stiffen. Joints can become inflamed or develop bone spurs, pinching or pressing an adjacent nerve.
- Cervical Spinal Stenosis with Myelopathy: Stenosis, meaning narrowing, of the spinal canal, can compress the spinal cord resulting in myelopathy. Symptoms include weakness and lack of coordination of the arms, hands, legs or feet.
- Cervical Foraminal Stenosis: The spinal cord is a large bundle of nerves running through the spinal canal. Cervical Foraminal Stenosis occurs when nerve passageways stemming from the spinal cord on the lateral side of the spinal canal (foramen) narrow.
Contact AICA Atlanta For Chronic Neck Pain Relief
Interested in learning more about the causes of chronic neck pain? Contact our office for more information and to schedule an appointment with one of our licensed, certified chiropractors. Our staff is dedicated to helping the residents of Atlanta, GA live life pain-free, healthy lives. As the community’s most experienced and comprehensive chiropractic clinic, we help thousands of people overcome various ailments, pains, conditions, and accident injuries each year. All of our treatment solutions are free of adverse side effects and do not contain any dependency risks.
Just dial (404) 889-8828 to speak with one of our friendly staff members about your health needs and availability today!