Believe it or not, stagnation is just as hazardous for your health as smoking. Nearly 80 percent of all Americans sit down throughout their work day. Whether in front of a computer or in a meeting, sitting for prolonged periods can have devastating effects on your health. Remaining inactive can lead to weaker muscles, cause back pain, tight joints, and even an increased risk of disease. What can you do?
Take Our Advice
Get moving! However you can, whenever you can, incorporate some type of movement into your day. Here’s how:
- Every half-hour mark, take a break, stretch out your legs by standing up and take a quick walk if you can.
- If possible, change your work station around and get a standing desk, this may even help spark some creativity!
- As always, use the stairs.
- If in need of a walk, print papers farther away from your desk to allow yourself that time to stretch your legs.
Posture and Work
Think about your current posture, are you slouching? How about your chin, is it sticking out? Poor posture affects many Americans in the workplace and leads to misalignments in the spine causing pain and discomfort throughout the day. Misalignments to the spine can lead to many other issues as well.
When your posture is incorrect, your body’s working overtime and using extra energy that it could be used elsewhere. It’s okay, adjusting your posture at work can be done and here’s how!
- Have the bottom edge of your computer screen eye level with your eyes
- Have your monitor 30 inches from your face
- Make sure your chair supports your elbows, hips, and knees in 90-degree angles
- If your feet dangle, invest in a footstool to take the pressure off of your lower back
Adjusting your posture is critical, however if misalignment has already occurred, a chiropractic adjustment may be just what you need. An adjustment not only corrects the misalignment but improves the body’s overall performance. Once the adjustment has been made, energy levels increase and pain decreases.
If you make a commitment to change, and increase activity levels coupled with a chiropractic care plan, you minimize the risk of developing degenerative conditions and other diseases.
Call AICA Atlanta For Complete Care
Our Atlanta Chiropractors understand the daily struggles of our patients and work to find a treatment that is right for them. If you find yourself struggling while at work with pain and discomfort, it could be a result of misalignment due to poor posture. Our team of chiropractors is ready to find you relief so call us today at (404) 889-8828.